Saturday, March 15, 2008

Piece of advice

Okay, so I had a close call this afternoon while driving home from work. It made me think that maybe I should pass it on... I cannot recall if I learned this in driver's ed or if it was a piece of wisdom that my truck-driving dad passed on to me.

I was sitting at a red light at the end of the interstate off-ramp. There are two lanes to choose from to make a left hand turn. I was in the right lane and there was a pick-up truck in the left hand lane. Now you may need to picture this in your mind, but sitting in the right hand lane, with a truck on your left, you cannot see what is coming from the left. The light turned green and I let off the brake, not "gassing" it, but just started to roll out. The thought crossed my mind that the truck on my left had not moved yet. The wonderful piece of wisdom that I had been told years ago came to mind next... 'When pulling away from a light, if there is a larger vehicle next to you that does not move, you probably should stay put. They may see something you can't see'.
Lo and behold, I stopped my car and a semi came flying through the red light.
A SEMI!
I cannot tell you what that did to my heartrate. But the rest of the way home, all I could think was:
If I had not been given that advice years ago, I just might have been creamed by a semi...

So, to the few of you that read this blog, PLEASE keep that in mind, and pass it on to your loved ones! It may seem insignificant, but may save someone a heartache (or worse) sometime in life!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you're not a semi-Sandywchich!

Anonymous said...

So glad you're not a semi-Sandywchich!

Anonymous said...

OMG!! How freaked must you have been?! Even to this day when driving through a green light, if there's a car wanting to take a turn infront of me, I put on my brakes. That car accident taught me to NEVER trust another driver!-Sarah