So lately I've been thinking that I need to do something more with my life... Other than getting up every morning, heading out to the office, putting in my 8-9 hours, and heading home to the T.V., my nightly walk, and then bed. The thing is, I can't decide what! Part of me is craving the school life again (if you can believe that!)... the books, the studying, the in-class time, writing papers. Weird how I miss that after only 6 months away from it! I just LOVE learning new things.
But I'm also thinking that maybe I need to actually DO something to make a difference. If I died tomorrow, would I have left a mark? I certainly do not want to be 50-something, looking back, thinking "I didn't do a thing to impact anyone's life!"
Now, I know that with being in the medical field, I should already feel that I am making a difference. And I do. A little. Weird as this may sound, I don't mind listening to the complaints when I'm rooming a patient. I get to hear and see their pain and sympathize with them. I enjoy that. But I still feel as though that can be found at any office, clinic, hospital, etc.
In the back of my mind, I keep thinking about children. Not to have my own, at least not yet! But the other children. The many many of them that are abused, neglected, and abandoned. The ones that need someone to hold them in their lap and read a book. Or color with them. Take them to the park or the zoo. Just someone to show them that they are indeed special and they are loved. Those are the children that need someone to come along and really make a difference in their lives. Maybe to give them the chance they need in life to grow up and become something wonderful.
I think of my own many nieces and nephews, and know that they are indeed blessed. To have so many doting aunts and uncles, grandparents, even their own parents, loving them and meeting their every need.
So, here I am. How do I go about turning these nagging thoughts into a reality? To finally take that feeling of needing to do something more and actually GO DO IT! I feel as though I am close to making a decision, possibly life-changing, possibly career-changing. Who knows?
Sunday, September 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sandy-
what you are saying makes a lot of sense. God didn't put us here to just make ourselves happy, He wants us to make Him and others happy. I pray you find something that is fulfilling and rewarding! Love ya, Joe
I totally agree with Joe - you are making soo much sense. I think many of us wake up one day and say, there's gotta be something more that this. Often that restlessness and stirring is God's way of pushing us to do something that will not only help others, but be an amazingly fulfilling, life-changing experience for us.
Follow your heart on this one girl - my prayers are with you!!
Post a Comment